The Member grade (MIMMM) recognises an individual’s professional experience, knowledge and understanding in a technical discipline associated with IOM3.
Members are usually expected to exercise independent judgement in both practical experience and the application of engineering or scientific or environmental principles. They will be innovative in technical matters relating to materials and natural resources in one or more of the following: exploration, extraction, processing, forming, selection, application, development, research, manufacturing, reuse, repurposing, and recycling.
What are the requirements for this grade?
- hold the minimum of a Bachelor’s degree be it a BEng, BSc, BSc(Eng), BTech etc, or equivalent RQF Level 6/SCQF Level 9/10 qualification in a relevant engineering, science, technology, or environmental subject.
- have at least 4 years relevant working experience. This can include time spent completing a PhD or EngD.
Individuals who do not hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent but have significant relevant working experience may be considered for the Member grade based upon their work-based learning. Please contact us for further information if you wish to be considered through this route.
Otherwise, individuals who do not yet meet these criteria may consider applying for the grade of Associate (AIMMM).
Benefits of being a Member
In addition to the general benefits associated with other grades, Members are also entitled to:
- Use of the postnominal letters ‘MIMMM’.
- Free entry to our ‘Introduction to Professional Registration’ workshop.
- Apply for Interim Professional Registration if you are looking to qualify in due course to apply for recognition as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) or Incorporated Engineer (IEng) with the Engineering Council.
- Free entry to our Professional Registration Workshops.
- Access to a Mentor to support your application for professional registration.
- Free entry to our Continuing Professional Development (CPD) workshop.
- Free entry to our Fellowship workshop.
- Apply for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Professionally Qualified Person (PQP) card for which you will need to pass the relevant CITB Health and Safety and Environment Test or an approved alternative.
- Apply to be recognised with Qualified for Minerals Reporting (QMR) accreditation under the terms of the CRIRSCO templated Codes of Reporting and be added to our register, from which practitioner credential due diligence checks can be made by the public.
For those also holding professional engineering registration:
- Consideration for entry to the Register of Ground Engineering Professionals (ROGEP) if you are a ground engineer.
How to apply for the Member grade
You will need to submit the following documents:
- A copy of your CV/resume.
- A copy of your degree/qualification(s) certificate(s) unless you have previously submitted these to the Institute.
Submit documents for application as a Member
Applying for professional registration
If you are looking to apply for professional registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) or Chartered Scientist (CSci), you must hold the IOM3 Member (MIMMM) or Fellow (FIMMM) grade at the time of your application.
Find out more about professional registration
Qualified for Minerals Reporting (QMR)
If you wish to be recognised by the Institute for the purposes of compiling and, with specific experience, being recognised as a Competent Person (CP) or Qualified Person (QP) to sign off Public Reports then please contact the Membership team. The process for initial recognition requires an interview.