The Technician grade (TIMMM) recognises an individual’s professional ability to apply proven techniques and procedures to the solution of problems in the field of materials and natural resources in one or more of the following: exploration, extraction, processing, forming, selection, application, development, research, manufacturing, reuse, repurposing, and recycling.
What are the requirements for this grade?
- hold the minimum of a RQF Level 2/SCQF Level 5 qualification in a relevant engineering, science, technology, or environmental subject.
- have at least 2 years’ relevant working experience.
Individuals who do not hold the minimum academic qualifications but have significant relevant working experience may be considered for TIMMM based upon their work-based learning. Please contact us for further information if you wish to be considered through this route.
Benefits of being a Technician
In addition to the general benefits associated with other grades, Technicians are also entitled to:
- Use of the postnominal letters ‘TIMMM’.
- Free entry to our ‘Introduction to Professional Registration’ workshop.
- Free entry to our Professional Registration Workshops.
- Access to a Mentor to support your application for professional registration.
- Free entry to our Continuing Professional Development (CPD) workshop.
- Free entry to our Fellowship workshop.
- Apply for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Professionally Qualified Person (PQP) card for which you will need to pass the relevant CITB Health and Safety and Environment Test or an approved alternative.
For those also holding professional engineering registration:
- Consideration for entry to the Register of Ground Engineering Professionals (ROGEP) if you are a ground engineer.
How to apply for the Technician grade
You will need to submit the following documents
- A copy of your CV/resume.
- A copy of your degree/qualification(s) certificate(s) unless you have previously submitted these to the Institute.
Submit documents for Technician application
Applying for professional registration
If you are looking to apply for professional registration as an Engineering Technician (EngTech) or Registered Science Technician (RSciTech), you must hold the minimum IOM3 membership grade of Technician (TIMMM) at the time of your application.