The Associate grade is the first step on the professional path and awarded immediately after graduation. It replaces the Graduate, Professional Graduate and Associate Member grades previously offered. It is hoped that those holding this grade will go on in due course to achieve the necessary experience to apply for the Member grade (MIMMM).
What are the requirements for this grade?
- Hold the minimum of a RQF Level 5/SCQF Level 8 qualification such as a foundation degree, HND or equivalent qualification in a relevant engineering, science, technology, or environmental subject.
Individuals who do not hold a RQF Level 5/SCQF Level 8 qualification but have significant relevant working experience may be considered for AIMMM based upon their work-based learning. Please contact us for further information if you wish to be considered through this route.
Benefits of being an Associate
In addition to the general benefits associated with other grades, Associates are also entitled to:
- Use of the postnominal letters ‘AIMMM’.
- An Accreditation Statement which confirms the suitability of your qualifications for the different professional registrations we offer.
- Free entry to our ‘Introduction to Professional Registration’ workshop.
- Apply for Interim Professional Registration if you are looking to qualify in due course to apply for recognition as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) or Incorporated Engineer (IEng) with the Engineering Council.
- Access to a Mentor to support your application for professional registration.
In addition, you are entitled to apply for:
- A Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Trainee card.
As your career progresses, other benefits become available to Associates:
- Two years after graduating an Interim Career Assessment of your professional experience to date for the purposes of applying for professional registration.
- Free entry to our Continuing Professional Development (CPD) workshop.
Associates are also able to apply for professional registration:
- Two years from graduation, the possibility of applying for Engineering Technician (EngTech), Registered Environmental Practitioner (REnvP) or Registered Scientist (RSci).
- Three years from graduation, the possibility of applying for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) professional registration.
Find out more about professional registration
For those also holding professional engineering registration:
- Consideration for entry to the Register of Ground Engineering Professionals (ROGEP) if you are a ground engineer.
How to apply for the Associate grade
You will need to submit the following documents
- A copy of your CV/resume.
- A copy of your degree/qualification(s) certificate(s) unless you have previously submitted these to the Institute.
Submit documents for Associate application
Application for Professional Registration
Those looking to apply for professional registration for example as a Registered Scientist (RSci) or Incorporated Engineer (IEng), must hold the membership grade of AIMMM or MIMMM or FIMMM at the time of application.