Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is the updating of knowledge and skills, and development of the personal qualities necessary to sucessfully fulfil the professional, managerial and technical responsibilities throughout a practitioner's career.
CPD is the continuation of professional development undertaken when initially qualifying - this is called Initial Professional Development or IPD. The scope of CPD is very broad and includes:
- Extending technical expertise beyond initial specialisation.
- Re-training in a new technical field.
- Developing an awareness of regulatory and compliance issues such as health and safety and COSHH.
- Developing management and soft skills including finance and accounting, foreign language capabilities, and critical thinking.
This list is by no means complete; there are many other ways to undertake quality and meaningful CPD.
The Institute offers and facilitates a number of activities, opportunities and resources through which members and others can develop their knowledge, understanding and competence, these include:
- Webinars, podcasts, conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Local society events.
- Open learning courses.
- Acting as a mentor, trainer, membership or accreditation assessor, or speaker at one of our events.
- Authoring technical and non-technical content.
- Serving on one of our technical committees.
- Access to content published digitally and in hardcopy such as Materials World.
The Institute approves various activities for CPD purposes and these carry the Institute's 'PD Approved' logo. Our Calendar of Events flags up "CPD Approved" events and most of our events will state how many hours of CPD you can log.
Please let us know if you think that an activity should be approved by the Institute.
IOM3 recommends that as a member, regardless of your grade or stage of career, you should undertake an annual programme of CPD and record the activities with a reflective statement. There is no mandatory requirement for the duration, but it is recommended that 35 hours will be sufficient to maintain competency and demonstrate the necessary commitment to professional standards.
If you hold professional registration with the Engineering Council, Science Council and/or the Society for the Environment, undertaking an annual programme of CPD and maintaining a record of the respective achievements is a mandatory requirement for ongoing registration. IOM3 is required to carry random sampling and assessment of registrant CPD records, and every IOM3 registrant is liable to submit their CPD record upon request from IOM3.
When it comes to the recording of CPD, IOM3 has two levels:
- Level 1: this is a self-certificating checklist which you can complete and submit if you are an Engineering Council registrant, if your CPD record is requested. IOM3 does however reserve the right to request supporting information if it deems it necessary, or a Level 2 record. The Level 1 checklist can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
- Level 2: this is a full record of CPD activities, which details the date, activity type, reflective statement(s) or learning outcome(s) achieved by undertaking the particular activity and its duration. Professional registrants of the Science Council and Society for the Environment are required to submit their record in this format.
IOM3 is happy for members to record and reflect upon their CPD activities in a way that best suits them.
The presentation of a CPD Record does not have to be over complicated - a simple spreadsheet is sufficient, provided it contains the necessary detail to be compliant with the level of record requested by IOM3. Many employers have their own recording systems and IOM3 is happy for members to use these tools and submit their records from them.
To help with CPD recording, IOM3 provides:
- Access to mycareerpath online CPD recording system (provided by the Engineering Council) which allows you to record your CPD online and also send us your CPD record in the correct format, if required to do so. You can log on to mycareerpath at https://mycareerpath.iom3.org - if you have not used this before, you will need to set up an account. The system allows you to set up a plan and record evidence against competences. Guidance is provided on the website.
- A simple MS Word CPD recording template for members to use if they wish (downloadable at the bottom of this page)
As of 1 January 2020, IOM3 (as with other Engineering Council licenced bodies) is required to have a policy in place which enables it to sanction its Engineering Council registrants who fail or refuse to submit an appropriate record of their CPD activities when requested to do so by the Institute. A copy of this policy can be downloaded at the bottom of this page. The Institute has determined that this policy will equally apply to its Science Council and Society for the Environment registrants.
At the present time and unless otherwise advised, Engineering Council registrants are only required to demonstrate their commitment to undertaking and recording CPD. Completing, signing off and submitting the Level 1 check list is all that is required. Compliance will be determined by peer review.
IOM3 has taken the decision to exempt our retired and non-professionally active Engineering Council registrants from the need to submit a CPD record. Unfortunately we are not permitted to extend this exemption to Science Council or Society for the Environment registrants.There are, however, other cases where the Institute can grant an exemption and these are detailed in the policy.
Institute members holding professional registration are advised to read this policy and seek advice from the Institute if they have any questions.