Continuing Professional Development
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is the updating of knowledge and skills, and development of the personal qualities necessary to sucessfully fulfil the professional, managerial and technical responsibilities throughout a practitioner's career. CPD is the continuation of professional development undertaken when initially qualifying - this is called Initial Professional Development or IPD. The scope of CPD is very broad and includes:
1. Extending technical expertise beyond initial specialisation.
2. Re-training in a new technical field.
3. Developing an awareness of regulatory and compliance issues such as health and safety and COSHH.
4. Developing management and soft skills including finance and accounting, foreign language capabilities, and critical thinking.
This list is by no means complete; there are many other ways to undertake quality and meaningful CPD.
CPD opportunities offered by IOM3
The Institute offers and facilitates a number of activities, opportunities and resources through which its members and others can develop their knowledge, understanding and competence, these include:
- Conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Local society events.
- Open learning courses.
- Acting as a mentor, trainer, membership or accreditation assessor, or speaker at one of our events.
- Authoring technical and non-technical content.
- Serving on one of our technical committees.
- Access to content published digitally and in hardcopy such as Materials World.
- Participating in webinars.
The Institute approves various events for CPD purposes and these carry the Institute's 'PD Approved' logo.
Please let us know if you think that an activity should be approved by the Institute.
Recommendations and Requirements
The Institute recommends that each member, regardless of their grade or stage of career, undertakes an annual programme of CPD. There is no mandatory requirement for the duration, but it is recommended that 35 hours will be sufficient to maintain competency and demonstrate the necessary commitment to professional standards.
For members holding professional registration with the Engineering Council, Science Council and/or the Society for the Environment, undertaking an annual programme of CPD and maintaining a record of the respective achievements is a mandatory requirement for ongoing registration. The Institute is required to carry random sampling and assessment of registrant CPD records, and every Institute registrant is liable to submit their CPD record upon request from IOM3.
When it comes to the recording of CPD, the Institute has two levels:
- Level 1: this is a self-certificating checklist which a member can complete and submit if they are an Engineering Council registrant and their CPD record is requested. The Institute does however reserve the right to request supporting information if it deems it necessary. The Level 1 checklist can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
- Level 2: this is a full record of CPD activities, which details the date, activity type, reflective statement(s) or learning outcome(s) achieved by undertaking the particular activity and duration. Professional registrants of the Science Council and Society for the Environment are required to submit their record in this format.
Guidance and supporting tools
The Institute is happy for members to record and reflect upon their CPD activities in a way that best suits them.
The presentation of a CPD Record does not have to be over complicated - a simple spreadsheet will suffice provided it contains the necessary detail to be compliant with the level of record requested by the Institute. Many employers have their own recording systems and the Institute is happy for members to use these tools and submit their records from them.
For those who wish to digitally record their CPD activities, members have access to the mycareerpath tool. This also allows you to send the Institute your CPD record in the correct format, if requested.
To access your mycareerpath account, you will need to login to the IOM3 website via the Member Login link (top right of any web page) and go to your Member Profile. In the list of "MY PERSONAL LINKS" in the right hand column, follow the link to "PD record on mycareerpath". This software is available to IOM3 members only.
As of 1 January 2020 the Institute, as with other Engineering Council licenced bodies, is required to have a policy in place which enables it to sanction its Engineering Council registrants who fail or refuse to submit an appropriate record of their CPD activities when requested to do so by the Institute. A copy of this policy can be downloaded at the bottom of this page. The Institute has determined that this policy will equally apply to its Science Council and Society for the Environment registrants.
At the present time, Engineering Council registrants are only required to demonstrate their commitment to undertaking and recording CPD. Completing, signing off and submitting the Level 1 check list is all that is required. Compliance will be determined by peer review.
The Institute has taken the decision to exempt its retired and non-professionally active Engineering Council registrants from the need to submit their CPD record. Unfortunately the Institute is not allowed to extend this exemption to its Science Council and Society for the Environment registrants.There are however other cases where the Institute can grant an exemption and these are detailed in the policy.
Institute members holding professional registration are advised to read this policy and seek advice from the Institute if they have any questions.
Further information can be sort from us via our online enquiry form.