The next classroom course will be running at The Boilerhouse in Grantham from 20 to 24 March 2023
The PIABC Level 3 Certificate in Packaging Technology is recognised as giving an excellent foundation in and introduction to the packaging industry. Our new course, based on the revised specification released in 2022, provides a level of insight and understanding of the packaging industry that adds real and measurable value to careers and businesses. We offer a number of course options that all feature guidance and support throughout the learning journey.
Why study towards the PIABC L3 Certificate in Packaging?
Who is the course aimed at?
Learners on the Certificate in Packaging course come from a variety of areas, but generally have three to twelve months experience of the sector. You may be embarking on a career within the industry and looking for the training that will provide you with a solid bed of information that you can build on. The course is at a level equivalent to GCE A-levels and we expect learners to have good basic literacy and numeracy skills.
How can I study the Certificate?
We offer our PIABC Level 3 Certificate in Packaging course in two formats to suit learners of different types.
If you feel confident in your ability to study independently or you need to fit your studies around a hectic work and personal life, our online course might be the best option for you. You can work through the course at a pace to suit you with the support of our online tutors.
If you would prefer to study in a more traditional format you may wish to choose our classroom course. This consists of an intensive, five-day, course which allows you to meet and learn with like-minded individuals and many of our former students have kept in touch. Classroom learners will also have access to our online learning platform.
How is the course structured?
The Certificate is split into six modules and at the end of these you should understand:
- The roles and functions of packaging
- The packaging development process
- Packaging sustainability
- Major packaging materials and formats
- Printing and decoration processes
- Key operations on a packing line
These learning outcomes are assessed through a formal, closed-book examination to test your knowledge and an open-book assignment on a topic set by PIABC on an annual basis.
How is the Certificate course assessed?
The PIABC Level 3 Certificate in Packaging has two assessment methods and you must achieve both to complete the qualification:
- Formal, closed-book written examination testing the knowledge you have learnt throughout the course. This 2-hour paper consists of short answer questions.
- Written assignment on a topic set by PIABC on an annual basis.
How long does it take to complete the Certificate course?
The PIABC Level 3 Certificate in Packaging course has a recommended total learning time of approximately 139 hours split across working your way through the course content, revising, sitting the exam and researching and writing your assignment. We expect our learners to take 6 to 12 months to complete the qualification.
The examination must be sat during one of PIABC's two examination series which take place in June and November each year.
To help you to make good progress through your course and complete it in a timely manner we have put together the following suggestions..
- Start your assignment after the course and aim to submit it by the end of August
- Sit the course exam during the November examination series
- Start your assignment after the course and aim to submit it by the end of March
- Sit the course exam during the June examination series
- Start your assignment once you have worked through the course material. It should take you around 3 months to write and you can then submit it for marking
- You are welcome to sit the exam whenever you feel ready to do so, but remember to give yourself plenty of time for revision.
How much does the course cost?
We offer our PIABC Level 3 Certificate in Packaging course in two formats and the price varies depending on which option you choose.
- Our classroom course costs £1995 (+VAT at 20% where applicable) which includes lunch and refreshments
- Our online course costs £1250 (+VAT at 20% where applicable)
IOM3 members and subscribers to our Business Partner Programme are entitled to a discount of 10% on the course fee.
There is an additional awarding body fee of £195 (VAT free). This covers your registration with PIABC, one sitting of each of the assessment methods and certification on completion of the qualification.
Register for our classroom course in Grantham, 20-24 March 2023
Register to study the PIABC Level 3 Certificate in Packaging Online course