Oilfield metallurgy is a specialist sector involved in understanding the requirements and performace of materials used in the challenging environments of the oil and gas sector. This course provides an improved understanding of material specification and selection for the oilfield environment. The knowledge gained from the course will enhance discussions between customers and suppliers and gives a better understanding of the properties of materials and their influence on oil-tool component design.
The full course will be run as three two-hour webinars held from 1200 to 1400 on 15, 16 and 17 March. It will cover:
Introduction to the oilfield environment:
- What are oil and gas?
- How do they affect materials?
- What are the special features of oilfield metallurgy?
- API Material classes
- NACE MR0175/ ISO 15156
Basic Metallurgy and Materials Science:
- Metallurgy and properties of low alloy steels
- Hardenability of oil tool materials
- Effect of alloying elements
- Heat treatment
- Weldability of oil tool materials
- Factors affecting material selection
Corrosion Resistant Alloys (CRA):
- Stainless steels
- Nickel alloys
- Material selection of CRA s
- API 6A CRA
- API 6A, API 17D, NACE standards etc.
- How to use them and what are their key features
- How do they affect material selection and fabrication?
Corrosion and Material Properties:
- Why is oil/gas corrosive?
- Sweet and Sour environments
- Typical corrosion problems
- Stress corrosion cracking
- NACE MR0175
- ISO 15156
- Material selection and sour service
- Effect on welding
By the end of the course what will I have learnt?
- Understand the oilfield environment and its effects on material selection
- Appreciate heat treatment and alloying requirements of oil tool components
- Show how common oiltool standards affect material processing and fabrication
- Gain a better understanding of material properties and their influence on oiltool design.
Not sure whether this course is for you? Watch our free webinar to find out more about the course.
Register to view our free webinar which gives an overview of the full Introduction to Oilfield Metallurgy course.