The Level 3 Intermediate Clay Quarry Management course was designed in response to The Quarry Regulations 1999 which stipulates that quarry managers need to demonstrate competence. As the majority of courses available centre around hard rock quarrying, this course was designed specifically for clay quarries.
Who is the course aimed at?
This two-day, classroom-based is suitable for Managers and Assistant Managers who are interested in the application of the Quarry Regulations 1999 and ACOP in relation to managing a clay quarry.
The course also provides learners with knowledge when overseeing geotechnical aspects and will benefit individuals who are involved in aspects of geotechnics and quarry design for managing clay quarries.
What does the course cover?
The course is a mix of taught time and group exercises and the assessments are made up of multiple choice questions with written and practical exams.
On completion of the course learners should be able to:
- Understand the meaning of the terms Regulations, Approved Code of Practise (ACOP) and Guidance and their legal status
- Refer to and interpret specific parts of the Regulations and ACOP
- Manage geotechnical aspects of their work in clay quarries effectively
- Take an active role in clay quarry design
- Maintain a safe geotechnical environment throughout the life of a clay quarry
- Introduction to the Legislation and Quarry Regulations 1999 relevant to clay quarries
- Health and safety documentation
- Training and competence
- Management structure
- Introducing rules and schemes
- Workplace inspections
- Explosives and shot-firing
- Health surveillance
- Vehicle safety in clay quarries & extractives environment
Completion of the course assessment leads to an MP Skills Certificate of Achievement or Record of Training
- Hazards and definitions
- Causes of instability in soil slopes
- Causes of instability in rock slopes
- Causes of instability in stockpiles
- Rockfall and control measures
- Geotechnical appraisals and assessments
- Inspections and record keeping
- Working practices
- Legal compliance
Completion of the course assessment leads to a Level 3 Award in Geotechnical Knowledge for Quarrying Supervision (Vocational Qualification) or Record of Training
How much does the course cost?
No current dates scheduled, please do get in touch direct should you be interested in this course.