The two-day, level 4 Advanced course for Clay Quarry Managers covers geotechnical knowledge and practice. It is designed for employees or contractors who have responsibility for managing and overseeing geotechnical aspects within an extractives and mineral processing environment, in line with those set out in the Quarry Regulations 1999 and ACOP. The course will be held in Worcestershire, DY10 4JB.
Who is the course aimed at?
This course will benefit individuals who are involved in and responsible for carrying out geotechnical inspections in the workplace and give a greater understanding of the requirements during appraisals and when assessments will be required. Those wishing to attend the course must provide evidence of holding an Intermediate (level 3) qualification or the previous level 4 qualification before attending.
What does the course cover?
By the end of the course you should:
- Have the information and skills to manage geotechnical aspects of your work in quarries effectively
- Be able to take an active role in quarry design
- Be able to ensure the maintenance of a safe geotechnical environment throughout the life of a quarry
This is achieved by covering the following topics:
- Hazards and definitions
- More advanced knowledge on causes of instability in soil and rock slopes
- Rockfall, rockfall design and control measures
- Geotechnical appraisals, assessments including practical aspects using latest technologies.
- Inspections and record keeping
- Working practices and legal compliance
The course is classroom-based and includes short lectures, demonstrations, group discussions, interactive exercises and case studies. The final assessment is in the form of a 24 question multiple choice paper and successful completion of the course leads to a Level 4 Award in Geotechnical Knowledge for Quarrying Management (Vocational Qualification).
How much does the course cost?
Register to attend the Advanced Clay Quarry Managers course on Geotechnical Knowledge and Practice running over two days on 18 and 19 May 2023.