Polymer Society Contacts
Listed below are the current board members. Click on a highlighted name to send an email to that person.
If you have any comments you may email a board member directly. Also feel free to meet board members at any of the conferences or meetings and discuss the activities of the Society
Director – Midsomer Science Ltd
- 30+ years in R & D in the rubber industry Including establishing the Materials Development Centre for Avon Rubber Plc in 1998 and ARTIS Materials Consultancy in 2007. Now founder and director of Midsomer Science Ltd, elastomer focussed consultancy
- Specialist technical knowledge includes physics, metallurgy, polymer science, rheology, test development, failure analysis and expert witness, statistical analysis and rubber recycling
- Strong links to the Rubber In Engineering Group (RIEG), Queen Mary University of London, Bristol, Bath and Loughborough Universities
- The physics of rubber materials
- Particulate filled polymer systems
- Smart elastomers
Dr Farai Carter
Centre for Process Innovation (CPI) which is the process arm of the High Value Manufacturing Catapult
- Process structuring of polymers and polymer composites/ nanocomposites to achieve enhanced properties or consistent quality through understanding and control of the processing operation.
- Analysis/modelling of polymer processing mechanics, involving leading edge in-process measurements - experimental characterisations of the solid and fluid phase rheology of polymers, with novel rheo-optical, ultrasound techniques and in-process spectroscopy.
- Processing machinery design and control of processing, especially in the fields of injection moulding (including micromoulding), extrusion and reactive processing - encompassing determination of process dynamic responses to the deconvolution of machine and raw material variables for real time closed loop process control.
- Computer modelling of solid and melt phase processing - used in process design and control (with a patented licensed polymer orientation process), and for insight into deformation and flow mechanisms.
- Management of large scale research groups and teams, and events.
Composite Engineering, University of Sheffield
- Risk assessment and design for product safety
- Polymer failure analysis and material identification and characterisation
- Polymers in construction applications
- Causes of discolouration and staining
Director General British Plastics Federation
Director - National Plastics Processing Centre - University of Warwick
Consultant at Greylag
- An industrial scientist working since 1987 in ICI, Courtaulds, Ineos Acrylics and latterly Lucite International.
- Wide range of technical experience in the physical properties of polymers and materials science, polymer chemistry, polymer engineering and statistics.
- A ‘six sigma’ statistician, solving complex quality and production problems on full scale assets. Also using these skills to reformulate products within the existing manufacturing capability.
- Blends of rubber
- Characterisation of rubber materials
Senior Lecturer in Polymer and Composites Processing, The University of Manchester
Corresponding Member, IOM3 Polymer Division - South Africa