Polymer Society Contacts
Listed below are the current board members. Click on a highlighted name to send an email to that person.
If you have any comments you may email a board member directly. Also feel free to meet board members at any of the conferences or meetings and discuss the activities of the Society
- 20+ years in R & D in the rubber industry from Teaching Company Associate with Bristol University through to establishing Avon Rubbers Materials Development Centre in 1998.
- Having launched ARTIS in 2007 he brings specialist technical knowledge of physics, metallurgy, polymer science, food processing, rheology, test development, statistical analysis and data management.
- His current key focus is now management and promotion of ARTIS with a view to growing a successful consultancy and research company, and has a keen interest in the recycling of rubber and other materials.
- Currently also Chairman of the Industrial Advisory Group at Loughborough University Department of Materials, also has stong links to the RIEG, Queen Mary University of London and NPL.
- The physics of rubber materials
- Particulate filled polymer systems
- Smart elastomers
Dr Farai Carter
Centre for Process Innovation (CPI) which is the process arm of the High Value Manufacturing Catapult
- Process structuring of polymers and polymer composites/ nanocomposites to achieve enhanced properties or consistent quality through understanding and control of the processing operation.
- Analysis/modelling of polymer processing mechanics, involving leading edge in-process measurements - experimental characterisations of the solid and fluid phase rheology of polymers, with novel rheo-optical, ultrasound techniques and in-process spectroscopy.
- Processing machinery design and control of processing, especially in the fields of injection moulding (including micromoulding), extrusion and reactive processing - encompassing determination of process dynamic responses to the deconvolution of machine and raw material variables for real time closed loop process control.
- Computer modelling of solid and melt phase processing - used in process design and control (with a patented licensed polymer orientation process), and for insight into deformation and flow mechanisms.
- Management of large scale research groups and teams, and events.
Composite Engineering, University of Sheffield
- Risk assessment and design for product safety
- Polymer failure analysis and material identification and characterisation
- Polymers in construction applications
- Causes of discolouration and staining
Director General British Plastics Federation
Director - National Plastics Processing Centre - University of Warwick
- An industrial scientist working since 1987 in ICI, Courtaulds, Ineos Acrylics and Lucite International.
- Wide range of technical experience in the physical properties of polymers and materials science, polymer chemistry, polymer engineering and statistics.
- A ‘six sigma’ statistician, solving complex quality and production problems on full scale assets. Also using these skills to reformulate products within the existing manufacturing capability.
- Blends of rubber
- Characterisation of rubber materials
Senior Lecturer in Polymer and Composites Processing, The University of Manchester
Corresponding Member, IOM3 Polymer Division - South Africa