IOM3 sets up new Resources Strategy Group
The IOM3 Resources Strategy Group (RSG) was founded on 1 May 2019 as a subgroup of the Sustainability Development Group (SDG) of IOM3. Its mission is to focus on the role of waste in a modern economy. The aim of the group is to fully engage IOM3 with the public and policy debates on a resource-efficient, low-carbon economy.
Envisaged activities include:
- Response to HMG's Resource & Waste Strategy (first consultation in May 2019).
- 3–4 meetings per year, the first of which will be on 18 June 2019 at IOM3, Euston Road, London NW1.
- Conferences/symposia along with briefing and discussion papers, on topical issues, such as polymers and packaging; product design for reuse/remanufacture (including long-term implications for transition from an energy-intensive to a labour-intensive economy), dematerialisation through nanotechnology and end-of-life analysis (ELV batteries). A one-day symposium is tentatively being planned for November with the theme 'Balancing resource management with climate change.'
- Apps for the transparent and convenient assessment of "waste" treatment options including reuse, recycling, landfill, energy-from-waste with materials recovery.
- Liaison/complementarity with the SDG and other IOM3 divisions and groups, and with external organisations.
The group are currently seeking potential membership of this group across IOM3 members, divisions and societies. All those interested in joining should contact the Chairman – Professor Jeremy Ramsden FIMMM at firstname.lastname@example.org