About Newport & District Materials Society
NDMS was founded in 1934 as the Newport & District Metallurgical Society. It was one of the first to be affiliated to the (then) Iron and Steel Institute and continues to be very actively involved in the affairs of The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, both at local and national level.
In 2003, the society changed its name to "Newport and District Materials Society" to reflect the increasingly diverse range of materials based industry located in the area.
The society caters for the materials profession in the widest sense, but given the history of the South East Wales area there remains a strong steel influence. The programme of activities runs from October to May each year and contains a variety of events tailored to the Professional Development needs of the active members. We organise a series of lectures which are held monthly and selected to cover a wide range of topics with something to everyone. There is also a local heat of the IOM3 Young Persons' Lecture Competition and a popular annual dinner.
Everyone interested in the fascinating world of materials is welcome to join.
Becoming a Member
The N&DMS Committee invites you to become a member of the society. N&DMS has a rich heritage and has brought together people with a shared interest in materials Science and Engineering for almost 80 years. Benefits include:
* Attendance at the members' night
* Attendance at a works' visit to a local company
* Invitation to the NDMS Golf Day
* Preferential Rates at the NDMS Annual Dinner
* Access to experienced material technologists who are more than happy to act as professional mentors
* Ensuring that the NDMS has a sustainable future
* Be eligible to become a committee member and help promote interest in materials in the area.