History of the London Materials Society
This page is under construction
Edwin Liddiard MA C Eng FIM F Inst P
Ted Liddiard, as he was always known, was born in 1903 and educated at Christ’s Hospital school, Tonbridge. He worked as a laboratory assistant at Cammel Laird’s from 1922 to 1925 while he took evening classes at Sheffield University and met his wife, Christine. He went on to Cambridge University and was one of the first students to read Metallurgy under the legendary Heycock and Neville. He graduated in 1928 and worked at ICI Billingham until he joined BNF in 1932.
He became the Deputy Director to G L Bailey and in 1936 the founded between the London Section of the original Institute of Metals. The war terminated its meetings until Liddiard helped to resurrect it and was its Chairman in 1951. As the membership of the Institute declined and that of the Institution of Metallurgists increased he helped to start the London Metallurgical Society in 1966, which was the precursor of the London Materials Society as we know it today.
In 1947 he left BNF to found, with the redoubtable Colonel Devereux, creator of High Duty Alloys, the first contract research organisation in the UK, the Fulmer Research Institute which was generating an annual income of £6 million when it merged with BNF in 1991. It was almost de rigueur for BNF and Fulmer staff to attend the evening meetings of the LMS and when Monty Finniston addressed it in September 1968 the attendance was over 200.
On Liddiard’s death in 1980, the Liddiard Memorial lecture was inaugurated by Fulmer in memory of a notable metallurgical pioneer.
Past Programmes and Committee