Surface Engineer Project Leader / Senior Project Leader Novel Polymer Technologies Section Polymer and Composite Technology Group TWI, Middlesbrough
Project Leader / Senior Project Leader
Novel Polymer Technologies Section
Polymer and Composite Technology Group
Hours: Full time, Permanent
Salary: Competitive rate
Closing Date: 12 March 2020
Reference number: 209/20
Description of role:
The Tribology and surface characterisation theme within Novel Polymer Technologies Section based at TWI’s Middlesbrough site, provides research, development and consultancy services in surface and materials characterisation, physical testing and wet-film coating technologies, housing a suite of state-of-the-art equipment to deliver consultancy services either to TWI Industrial Members or in collaborative projects funded through Innovate UK or European Commission. Due to recent growth in business and in order to be able to sustain the level of support required from the industry at the regional site, we are seeking a talented individual to join this fast-moving team environment to underpin our technical excellence and drive the activities required to support our expanding market share.
The successful candidate will enjoy responsibility for and rapidly gain experience in these areas. You will strengthen the core skills of an exciting and innovative team by taking on responsibilities including project management, preparation and negotiation of contract proposals, laboratory experiments and preparation of reports.
The applicant is expected to hold a minimum of a first degree in Materials, Chemistry or a related Engineering or Physical Sciences discipline and have practical experience in tribology and materials characterisation. An understanding of surface coatings and composite materials would be beneficial. Previous experience of collaborative project proposal writing would be of advantage. You will also have prior experience of project management and working with industry. Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
• Plan and conduct experiments to suit the requirement of customers
• Organize and develop appropriate testing of materials
• Support commercialisation efforts by working with other project leaders, customers and suppliers
• Work with the rest of the team to develop and understand the business opportunities for internally developed technologies/services
• Maintain and/or further develop partnerships with universities and/or institutes to assist in candidate materials idea generation as well as further enhance predictive testing capability
Qualifications and experience:
• MSc (or equivalent) in Surface Engineering, polymer science or chemistry.
• Applying knowledge of tribology and materials engineering to deliver work across a range of public funded and consultancy based projects.
• Experience in the preparation and characterisation of tribological experimental samples.
• Applying knowledge of physical and chemical characterisation for the evaluation of materials.
• Development of collaborative opportunities with industry to advance future technologies, including the writing of proposals for funding applications.
• Strong customer interaction skills/willingness to improve this skill and the flexibility to work independently but also in a highly collaborative team environment
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent team player
• Experience in project planning and management
• Experience in polymer science and engineering.
• Broad general knowledge of plastics testing including mechanical, rheological, thermal, optical and environmental testing.
• PhD in surface engineering, polymer science, polymer engineering, materials science or polymer chemistry is desirable but not essential.
This position has been produced as part of an initiative known as Centre for Materials Integrity which is part funded by the Tees Valley Combined Authority (TVCA) and the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
This position will require occasional travel within the UK and Europe to attend project meetings and to develop single client business, as and when required.
TWI Ltd is a world expert in engineering, materials and joining technologies. We provide industry with advice and know-how in design, fabrication, failure analysis and prevention.
TWI Ltd is committed to treating all employees fairly and to being an inclusive employer. Our aim is to create a work environment where our employees can reach their full potential. We put Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of our people practices to attract, develop and retain the best talent.
Please click on this link for the Job Description: https://www.twi-global.com/pdfs/careers/209-20-NPT-Advert-Middlesbrough-Feb-job-Description.pdf
To apply, please click on the link below: