Strategic Advisor - Infrastructure
Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining
- Contract type
- Voluntary role
- Closing date
- 11 Mar 2024
Position – Strategic Advisor (Areas of focus: Infrastructure)
Reporting to – Technology Communities Board (TCB)
Term of Office – 3 years (renewable)
Requirements – an IOM3 member in good standing
Each SA leads on one of the nine IOM3 Technical Themes
Each SA is also a contact point for two or three of the 22 IOM3 TC leadership teams https://www.iom3.org/membership/our-communities/technical-communities.html
Around 40% of the UK’s carbon emissions are linked to the built environment, including both the construction and the use of the built environment. Construction is also responsible for 50% of all extracted materials. The selection of the most appropriate materials with the lowest embodied carbon is essential for reduction in the carbon burden of the industry.
As well as the need to use low carbon materials in construction, the need to minimise energy and water consumption within buildings is key to reaching our climate change targets.
The technical groups that make up the built environment theme within IOM3 have the common challenge of reducing the carbon footprint of the UK’s built environment while, through the selection of innovative materials, delivering building that can help reduce the environmental impact of construction projects: saving energy, reducing pollution, conserving resources and also creating a healthier indoor environment by reducing the use of harmful chemicals and improving air quality.
SAs are expected to:
- Promote collaboration and interdisciplinary working across IOM3, especially with the TCs
- Support TC leadership teams to identify and generate technical content such as conferences and events, articles, blogs, podcasts etc, working where necessary with other SAs;
- Act as a focal point for activity relating to their technical theme;
- Represent IOM3 externally as required, for example in working groups with other organisations, discussions with policy makers etc;
- Provide a channel for members’ technical knowledge into IOM3 contributions to policy consultations, thought leadership pieces etc.
Some SAs may also speak to the media on behalf of IOM3 (appropriate training and support will be provided).
The time commitment can vary, but on average is likely to be about two or three days a month.
Skills and competencies
- A passion to help IOM3 deliver on its charitable purposes and to help professionals in materials, minerals, and mining be champions of the transition to a low-carbon, resilient and resource efficient society (Essential).
- A good technical knowledge of one or more aspects of their theme as it relates to materials, minerals, and mining and its relevance to societal challenges (Essential).
- Ability to communicate effectively with other technologists (not necessarily from the same discipline), the media, and other IOM3 members at different stages of career development (Essential).
- An understanding of IOM3 activities and the ability to speak with confidence about the needs of members at all stages of their membership and professional development (Essential).
- Experience of working with active supporter and volunteer networks or in organising events (Desirable).
Any member with relevant interests can apply.
Please submit a CV and a statement of interest, to Anita Horton [email protected] by 08:00 on 11 March 2024.
We are particularly keen to improve the diversity of our volunteer cadre.
We are happy to arrange informal conversations for anyone who wants to find out more about any of the posts and the process.
Don’t meet every requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At IOM3 we are building a diverse, inclusive and authentic Institute, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the role description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles