Metallurgical Specialists - Lloyd’s Register, EMEA
Lloyd’s Register are seeking applicants for two new positions at our Southampton Global Technology Centre. Working in the Metallurgy team with the Marine & Offshore Materials department, we are seeking a metallurgist and a senior metallurgist to develop and enhance our Class-leading capabilities.
To assess complex problems for internal / external clients where the parameters are not well defined and to determine solutions where previous experience does not provide any precedent. The role may also include managing projects. To provide technical support, consultancy and verification services to manufacturers, shipyards and suppliers to ensure continued compliance with Classification Rules, procedures and industry codes or standards.
- To perform complex assessments and provide specialist advice for service delivery, research or development work within agreed broad parameters that include budget constraints and contractual requirements.
- To produce the deliverable within the agreed broad parameters in an appropriate format, and to take responsibility to review other employees’ work as requested.
- To discuss / present the deliverable with the internal / external client at a senior level and be able to suggest alternative solutions where appropriate.
- Undertake administration as required in line with current processes and procedures.
- To assess / recommend the time / value of the work to be undertaken for an internal / external client within an agreed fee / cost structure and within the commercial aspects of the contract.
- To make recommendations based on internal / external client feedback to assist in service delivery improvement and to help build the business.
- To contribute to internal / external client management as appropriate.
- Conduct activities in line with internal procedures, accreditation schemes, legislation, and industry standards.
- To pursue Continuous Professional Development and maintain a high degree of discipline knowledge and awareness.
- To mentor / coach other technical employees to achieve effective technical knowledge transfer and application.
- To undertake project management where applicable including monitoring project progress and spend against budget and contract requirements.
- To recommend and promote best-practice and alternative ways of working and assist with the development of LR
- Rules, procedures and other methods of assessing or verifying compliance.
- To provide technical training on formal courses for surveyors and clients, shipyards, manufacturers and owners.
Technical / Professional Qualifications / Requirements:
- A degree or equivalent from a tertiary organisation recognised by Lloyd’s Register within the relevant field of engineering or physical science (minimum of two years programme) or Qualifications from a marine or nautical institution and relevant sea-going experience as a certificated ship’s officer.
- Membership of an appropriate professional institution.
- Working towards achieving Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status.
- Proficiency in the English Language commensurate with the work.
- Excellent track record showing career progression in various roles with increased accountability.
- An in-depth knowledge of ferrous and non-ferrous materials and their manufacturing processes, certification and selection gained from industrial experience.
- Experience of applying a wide range of national and international standards and codes involving metallurgy and welding.
- Experience in steelmaking, and/or heavy fabrication processes in the marine, offshore or related industrial environments.
- Innovative and enthusiastic with excellent communication and team working skills.
- Proactive and flexible approach and the ability to project manage various tasks as required.
Senior Metallurgical Specialist: Apply- please follow this link
Metallurgical Specialist: Apply - please follow this link
About Lloyd’s Register
The Lloyd’s Register Group (LR) is an independent risk management organisation and maritime classification society that helps to improve our clients’ quality, safety, environmental and business performance throughout the world. This is mirrored in our mission statement “working together for a safer world”.
We offer global engineering, technical and business services, and is wholly owned by the Lloyd’s Register Foundation, a UK charity dedicated to research and education in science and engineering for the benefit of the community at large.
You will have the opportunity to learn from the best, working with in-house experts and benefiting from the world-class facilities and qualifications offered by our University partners. All under the roof of a purpose-built facility, designed as a collaborative workspace and equipped with the latest technology. The perfect environment for you to connect, nurture and thrive in your career and all with the beautiful South coast on your doorstep providing the perfect backdrop for your work-life balance.
LR offers an excellent benefits package including an award winning contributory pension scheme, medical care, 25 days annual leave, flexitime, free lunch facility and a competitive salary.