Material Scientist (Surfaces, Coatings and Tribology)
- Contract type
- locations Wotton-under-Edge, UK
- Closing date
- 17 Jun 2022
- Commensurate with experience.
Renishaw’s Group Engineering Division is seeking to recruit a Materials Scientist who specialises in surface engineering, surface physics and coatings who will provide specialist support to the business divisions. The successful candidate will be part of an enthusiastic team within Materials Analysis and Research based at its headquarters in Gloucestershire. This role will involve working in teams as well as individually to problem solve and suggest solutions where material characteristics appear to be the cause. The successful candidate will be expected to carry out analytical material analysis techniques, provide material property advice, selection and provide laboratory support.
Opportunities for career development and training:
- Upskilling materials analysis techniques and testing processes
- Attendance at conferences and technical collaborations
- Opportunity to work towards Chartered Engineer status
- Facilitate new product development through research and development of material processing techniques with a specific focus on surface engineering, tribology, surface physics and coatings.
- Work will include literature reviews and practical research. Working alongside third-party agents to optimise capability may also be required as will be the development of prototypes and technology demonstrators.
- Provide material selection and coatings advice in the early stage of new product development projects starting from concept feasibility.
- Identification and analysis of materials, failure types and causes using methods such as optical microscopy and Scanning Electron Microscopy (EDX), Raman spectroscopy, Rheology, FT- IR, DCS, TGA and GCMS, Taly Surf, AFM, Tribometer as well as other destructive analytical mechanical testing methods and equipment.
- Run and disseminate knowledge of Taly Surf, AFM, Tribometer and their applications as aa analysis method throughout the MAR group
- Degree in Materials Science or equivalent discipline preferably to PhD level.
- Proven track record in surface technologies and tribology
- Significant prior and demonstratable independent Scanning Electron Microscopy, and surface analysis techniques such as, AFM, Surface Profilometer, Tribometer.
- An understanding of manufacturing technologies, processes, and materials selection for engineering applications.
- Aptitude for industrial research and production failure analysis
- Proven aptitude for problem solving and the ability to develop solutions for complex problems.
- Analytical skills to support material analysis, identification and fault finding.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- If not UK native - minimum IELTS score of 7
- Hands-on practical laboratory or workshop experience.
- An interest in science and experimental activities.
- A valid UK driving license, as visits to other sites will occasionally be required.
The successful applicant would be a dynamic, flexible individual with a practical approach to materials science and engineering. The candidate would be organised, reliable, have a confident and authoritative manner with a creative and methodical approach to problem solving. A strong work ethic, self-motivation and high productivity is expected within this role.
When you join Renishaw, we're committing to your future career. That's because we believe in developing our people's skills and promoting them internally. We also offer a benefits package that's highly desirable, including a 9% non-contributory pension, discretionary annual bonus and pay reviews, subsidised onsite restaurant, free parking and sports and leisure societies. Of course, we appreciate there’s more to work than the office, so we also offer 25 days holiday, Life Assurance (and BUPA Renishaw Health Trust.)