Material Scientist (Polymers)
- Contract type
- Wotton-under-Edge, UK
- Closing date
- 17 Jun 2022
- Commensurate with experience.
Renishaw’s Group Engineering Division is seeking to recruit a Materials Scientist who specialises in polymers, adhesives and composites who will provide specialist support to the Encoder Product Division. The successful candidate will be part of an enthusiastic team within Materials Analysis and Research based at its headquarters in Gloucestershire. This role will involve working in teams as well as individually to problem solve and suggest solutions where material characteristics appear to be the cause. The successful candidate will be expected to carry out analytical material analysis techniques, provide material property advice, selection and provide laboratory support.
Opportunities for career development and training:
- Upskilling materials analysis techniques and testing processes
- Attendance at conferences and technical collaborations
- Opportunity to work towards Chartered Engineer status
- Become deeply embedded within Renishaw’s Encoder Product Division, to provide targeted materials advice on new and current product issues with a specific focus on polymers and adhesives.
- Facilitate new product development through research and development of material processing techniques with an emphasis on adhesives, sustainable polymers, polymers for electronics, accelerated aging, outgassing, adhesive selection and joining technologies. Work will include literature reviews and practical research. Working alongside suppliers to optimise capability may also be required
- Serve as a first point of contact when customer returns or production problems occur where material characteristics appear to be the cause.
- Propose and carry out any relevant tests and analytical techniques to identify the root cause of these problems and recommend solutions.
- Identification and analysis of unknown materials, failure types and causes using methods such as optical microscopy and Scanning Electron Microscopy (EDX), Raman spectroscopy, Rheology, FT- IR, DCS, TGA and GCMS, as well as other destructive analytical mechanical testing methods and equipment.
- Run and disseminate knowledge of DSC, TGA and GCMS and their applications as analysis methods throughout the MAR group
- Provide material selection advice in the early stage of new product development projects starting from concept feasibility.
- Degree in Materials Science or equivalent discipline preferably to PhD level.
- Proven knowledge in polymers and adhesives
- Significant prior and demonstratable independent Scanning Electron Microscopy, Raman spectroscopy, Rheology, FT- IR, DCS, TGA and GCMS skills
- An understanding of manufacturing technologies, processes, and materials selection for engineering applications.
- Aptitude for industrial research and production failure analysis
- Proven aptitude for problem solving and the ability to develop solutions for complex problems.
- Analytical skills to support material analysis, identification and fault finding.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- If not UK native - minimum IELTS score of 7
- An additional appreciation of other material science specialisms such as metallurgy, surface engineering and ceramics
- Hands-on practical laboratory or workshop experience.
- An appreciation and preferably experience of non-destructive and destructive testing methods.
- An interest in science and experimental activities.
- A valid UK driving license, as visits to other sites will occasionally be required.
The successful applicant would be a dynamic, flexible individual with a practical approach to materials science and engineering. The candidate would be organised, reliable, have a confident and authoritative manner with a creative and methodical approach to problem solving. A strong work ethic, self-motivation and high productivity is expected within this role.
When you join Renishaw, we're committing to your future career. That's because we believe in developing our people's skills and promoting them internally. We also offer a benefits package that's highly desirable, including a 9% non-contributory pension, discretionary annual bonus and pay reviews, subsidised onsite restaurant, free parking and sports and leisure societies. Of course, we appreciate there’s more to work than the office, so we also offer 25 days holiday, Life Assurance (and BUPA Renishaw Health Trust.)