Laboratory Technician (12 month FTC)
- Contract type
- Closing date
- 13 Aug 2021
Working closely with the Materials Engineer, the Material Lab technician will be responsible for material preparation and technical assistance in the materials laboratory. Working to deliver information and reports to quantify various technical matters and support during maintenance activities, planning and service execution phases. Mitsubishi Power materials laboratory is part of the component repair engineering (CRE) department and supports engineering activities including materials testing and evaluation, turbine component life extension assessment, as well as repair development, process improvement and RCA investigations in our Leeds facility.
Mitsubishi Power are looking for a flexible and forward thinking candidate with an interest in developing a career within the energy industry. The successful candidate will join the CRE team as an addition to the materials laboratory. They would be expected to perform standard laboratory activities such as materials and metallographic sample preparation, visual inspection and assessment of test pieces and to prepare the technical reports that will accompany these investigations. They will be involved in a wide range of activities including failure investigation as well as process development on an exotic range of materials and components which are all related to gas and steam turbines. The successful candidate would also support on-site inspection of gas and steam turbine rotors and valves during the delivery of material integrity inspection work packages. Ideally the successful candidate will have experience from working in a materials testing environment however they will have the opportunity to develop their prep and evaluation skills further.
- Use of preparation and assessment techniques to perform metallurgical assessment on iron and nickel based alloys.
- Working to tight time schedules, to produce high quality reports
- On-site sample preparation of power plant components in-situ. Acetate replication.
- Aid engineering team in improvements to workflow and developing techniques for novel materials and processes.
- Work closely with the engineering team to develop and qualify repair processes.
- Day to day running of the Materials laboratory.
- A good understand of Health & Safety issues pertaining to laboratories. Risk assessments and Material Safety Data Sheets.
- A good understanding of Steel and super alloy metallurgy, with respect to treatment during manufacture, and operating conditions.
- Flexible approach to problem solving and thinking outside the box to prepare ovel samples in a timely manner.
- Metallographic sample preparation – Performing complex cut ups and sample preparation using lab equipment such as cut-off saws, mounting and polishing equipment, chemical handling.
- Metallic materials assessment – visual assessment, microstructural assessment using optical microscopy.
- Manage Scanning Electron Microscopy and Energy Dispersive X-ray analysis through industry and academic contacts. Interpreting Micrographs and chemical compositional spectra.
- Manage mechanical testing in-house and through qualified vendors. Interpret tensile, hardness, stress rupture, fatigue, and impact testing results.
- Competent knowledge and use of etchants in metallurgical preparations.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of employees.
- Maintain the highest degree of honesty and integrity at all times
- Support the response to internal and external customer requests for technical issue resolution, using technical product knowledge and analytical skills while adhering to sound engineering principles, standards, practices and procedures.
- Establish and maintain relationships with customers to make customer technical issues/requirements understood and addressed in a timely manner.
- Document technical data generated by the assigned project consistent with engineering policies and procedures.
- Travel to customer locations to support customer technical review meetings.
- To support unplanned/forced outages to meet availability goals.
- Provide commercial teams with technical support for sales and services proposal activities.
- Development of proactive working procedures for future work efficiency
- To participate at the identification and resolution of Technical Non Conformity Reports (NCRs) and Request for Actions documents (RFAs).
- Ideally educated to degree level qualification in materials science or engineering. Relevant engineering degrees (mechanical, aerospace) may be considered with a demonstrated understanding of metallurgy.
- Candidate must be familiar with lab metallography, mechanical testing, and measurement, especially related to nickel super alloys and iron based alloys, welding, and coatings.
- Computer knowledge and mastery of common software packages for office work