Electromagnetics Engineer Project Leader / Senior Project Leader Adhesives, Composites and Sealants TWI Cambridge or Middlesbrough
Project Leader / Senior Project Leader
Adhesives, Composites and Sealants
TWI Cambridge or Middlesbrough
Location: Cambridge or Middlesbrough
Hours: Full time
Salary: Competitive rate
Closing Date: 1st April 2020 @ 9am
Reference number: 127/19
Description of role:
TWI’s SurFlow™ technology offers an exciting potential for research, development and consultancy in wireless data transmission through composites using electromagnetic surface waves. SurFlow™ is one of the technology themes managed by the Adhesives, Composites and Sealants section within TWI, and following growing interest in industry for the newly developed technology, a new, state-of-the-art facility is being developed at TWI to deliver consultancy services either to TWI Industrial Members or in UK or European publically funded collaborative projects. Due to recent growth in SurFlow™ business, and in order to maintain a high level of industrial support at our regional sites, we are seeking a talented individual to join this fast-moving team to underpin our technical excellence and drive the research and development activities required to support our expanding market share.
The successful candidate will enjoy responsibility for, and rapidly gain experience in, these areas. You will strengthen the core skills of an exciting and innovative team by taking on responsibilities mainly in experimental laboratory work and preparation of technical reports but also in the preparation and negotiation of contract proposals and project management.
The applicant is expected to hold a minimum of a first degree in physics/electrical/electronic engineering, or a related Engineering or Physical Sciences discipline, and have practical experience in wireless technologies. An understanding of electromagnetic surface waves technology would be beneficial. Previous experience in electrical circuit boards and systems would be of advantage. Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Development and modification of electrical circuit boards for wireless technologies
- Transducer/antenna development and integration into composites
- Wireless communication protocol development
- Supporting projects in the areas where electrical/electronic development is required
- Efficient project delivery to meet client, health, safety, quality and budget requirements
- BSc and above qualification in physics/electrical/electronic engineering
- At least two of following skills:
- Knowledge in wireless technologies
- Knowledge in electromagnetic surface waves
- Knowledge in metamaterials
- Knowledge in antenna/transducer design
- Knowledge in communication protocols
- Experience in working with electrical circuit boards and systems
- Experience in EMI/EMC testing
The ideal candidate will have:
- Intrinsically high level of motivation with a good work ethic
- Ability to work to a high standard independently as well as within a team
- Strong documentation and writing skills
- Ability to conduct themselves in line with TWI’s six corporate values: teamwork, innovation, taking responsibility, customer focus, adaptability and respect.
TWI manages and operates the National Structural Integrity Research Centre (NSIRC), a centre for postgraduate industry led study. This role includes the supervision of NSIRC students (PhD and/or MSc).
This position has been produced as part of an initiative known as Centre for Materials Integrity which is part funded by the Tees Valley Combined Authority (TVCA) and the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
The role may require travel with notice within the UK and occasional overseas.
TWI is one of the world’s foremost independent research and technology organisations, with expertise in materials joining and engineering processes. TWI provides engineering consultancy to its Members and stakeholders with authoritative and impartial expert advice, knowhow and safety assurance related to engineering technologies.
TWI Ltd is committed to treating all employees fairly and to being an inclusive employer. Our aim is to create a work environment where our employees can reach their full potential. We put Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of our people practices to attract, develop and retain the best talent.
For further details, please click on the link below
To apply, please click on the link below.