Coating and Polymer Consultant/ Polymer Scientist - MTD, Cardiff
Job Title: Coating and Polymer Consultant/ Polymer Scientist
Reporting to: Technical Director
Provide technical consultancy services to a world wide client base, operating in diverse industry sectors including energy, chemical and oil production units, marine, coatings and composites.
The position would be suited to someone who has laboratory and technical experience of working with polymeric materials in an industrial environment, having experience of one or more of coatings, thermoplastics, reinforced thermosets and elastomers. The role will generally involve investigation of material failure, with attendance at the site of incidents worldwide to carry out onsite investigation followed by laboratory based investigative analysis (utilising the analytical capabilities of our independent laboratory in Cardiff).
- Lead investigations of coating/polymer based material failures.
- Attend on site (worldwide) to collect information and samples related to material failure.
- Develop protocols and coordinate laboratory based investigations into material failure.
- Ensure accurate recordings of observations on-site and comprehensive evaluation of all laboratory analyses.
- Liaise with clients to obtain and carry out document reviews relevant to the failure investigation.
- Conduct literature research to provide technical basis to support the findings of investigations.
- Prepare technical reports on experimental findings and present information in a form capable of being understood by non-technical clients.
- Provide expert opinion, including discussions with other experts, and give evidence at arbitration or in court.
Skills and Qualifications required:
- Degree qualification (BSc or higher) in Chemistry or field of study closely related to polymers.
- Have experience of working with polymers in the laboratory and within industry
- Good technical knowledge of coatings and polymers.
- Familiarity with a variety of thermal methods and awareness of chemical analysis techniques would be advantageous.
- Excellent problem solving skills and effective application of knowledge to pronounce on failure mechanisms.
- Excellent communication skills, both written reports and in meetings with clients.
- Highly motivated, can do attitude.
- Willing and available to travel worldwide at short notice for site investigations and technical meetings.