Awards Committee member
Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining
- Contract type
- Voluntary role
- Closing date
- 15 Jun 2023
The Institute is looking to recruit a new member to its Awards Committee. We are looking for a senior member of IOM3 with an academic background in materials, minerals or mining and a passion for our communities. We are particularly keen to ensure that membership of the Committee reflects the diversity of the Institute’s membership as a whole, both in terms of technical/professional background and gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.
The role involves one meeting each spring, plus a small amount of business conducted in correspondence.
One appointment will be made for an initial term of two years, with reappointment for a final four-year term an option.
If you have any questions or wish an informal discussion about the role, please email [email protected]. To apply, please send a CV and a covering letter stating how you feel you fulfil the requirements of the role to the same address by 1700 (BST) on 15 June 2023.
Don’t meet every requirement? Studies have shown that women, people of colour and those who are disabled (physical, invisible or neurodivergent conditions) are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. IOM3 is a forward-looking, diverse and inclusive Institute, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the role description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles. Should you need reasonable adjustments, please do not hesitate to contact to us make suitable arrangements.
About the IOM3 Awards Committee
- The application and upholding of IOM3 Awards and Prizes’ standards.
- The delivery of services of the Awards Committee.
- To judge the IOM3 Awards & Prizes.
- To check and endorse/reject the recommendations of IOM3 Leadership Teams for all other, Premier, Special and Publication Awards.
- To oversee the operation of grants and bursaries panel.
- To oversee the operation of the Student & Apprentice Awards.
- To make nominations for Institute Honorary Fellows.
- To make nominations for Royal Academy of Engineering Honorary Fellows.
- To make nominations for the Society of the Environment Honorary Fellows.
- To make nominations for National Honours.
- To make nominations for any other compatible awards and honours as required.
- To advise Trustees on any requests for changes to the criteria of any award or proposals for new awards.
- Attendance of one online Awards Committee meeting usually held in March/April. Any other business will be conducted by email or other suitable virtual means.
- Have a strong academic background.
- Should normally be Fellows of the Institute or otherwise be able to demonstrate significant relevant experience of the areas of the Institute’s interests.
- Must be able to commit the necessary time (a half-day meeting and a half-day preparation a year, plus possibly small amounts of time to respond to emails, etc).
- Collectively will be selected to represent the diverse nature of the Institute’s membership in all its senses
- Cannot be members of any of the IOM3 main boards (Executive Board, IOM Commercial Activities Board, Members’ Board, Professional Standards & Development Board, Technology Communities Board)
The Committee has five other members:
- The President (who Chairs the Committee)
- The Senior Vice-President
- The Immediate Past President
- A representative elected by the Advisory Council
- The Chief Executive.