Organised by IOM Communications on behalf of the Wood Technology Society
A conference for the UK timber industry, presenting the latest trends and emerging research in timber, wood science and related fields.
Following the success of last year’s conference, the Wood Technology Society are pleased to announce Timber 2019. This event brings together wood scientists, wood technologists, and businesses from all areas of the timber industry. The primary aim is to showcase the latest developments in timber research in the UK, and to prompt discuss of new products, processes and concepts and their potential within the UK.
This conference will span all topics related to timber – from the largest structures to the smallest models of the influence of ultrastructure on performance. The organisers seek to balance the fundamental lab and forest-based experiments through to the industrial application and development of new products. Topics will range from preservation to panel products; modified wood to engineered lumber.
CALL FOR PAPERS is now closed
The event provides a forum to present academic and industrial research in timber. A poster session will allow additional opportunities to showcase early-stage research and demonstrate industrial product development. Don’t miss this opportunity to present your work to a mixed audience of academics, consultants and timber industry professionals.
Papers are sought in all areas of timber research:
- Timber structures, architectural forms and applications
- Wood modification
- Engineered wood, composites and wood-based panels
- Lesser used species and suitability for demanding environments
- Wood anatomy, nanostructural modelling and biomechanics
- Marine applications
- Home grown timber, markets and opportunities
- Grading and quality in the 21st Century
- Timber in the built environment and occupant well-being
- Protection and preservation of wood against biodegradation
- Weathering and ageing – effect on aesthetics indoors and out
- Advances in fundamental wood science
- Wood in cultural heritage
- Adhesives, paints, coatings and finishes
Abstracts for both oral presentation and poster presentations will be considered. Please send your abstracts of up to 600 words to the organising committee (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 8th March 2019.
Abstracts will be reviewed by the scientific committee, headed by Dr Graham Ormondroyd (WTS chair), with representation from wood science, engineering and wood technology academics.
If selected for presentation a full paper will be requested by 3rd May for inclusion in the conference proceedings. A selection of papers will also be put forward to a special issue of the WTS’s journal, the International Wood Products Journal, published by Taylor & Francis.