As one of the Applications Division of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, we aim to represent all materials engineers and other related technical disciplines with interests across biomedical applications. By providing this important focus within the Institute we hope to raise the profile to all Institute members and to encourage new members through an appreciation of the multidisciplinary nature of our technical field.
The Division helps to represent the UK community by having active links with other relevant UK bodies such as Health Technologies Knowledge Transfer Network (HTKTN), the UK Society for Biomaterials (UKSB), the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) and the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM). The Division also played a key role in the formation of the Association of Institutions concerned with Medical Engineering (AIME), of which the Institute is a founder member.
Our objectives cover:
- Organisation of worldwide technical meetings in collaboration with other relevant bodies.
- Encouragement of appropriate educational and newsworthy items within the Institute's journal.
- Promotion of high quality education and training related to biomaterials.
- Collaboration with the other technical divisions and regional sections on areas of mutual interest.
- Co-ordination of responses to national and international initiatives (e.g. Foresight, Medical Devices Faraday Partnership).
- Encouragement of new people into the field of biomaterials and related medical topics.
This website is designed to introduce the workings of the Division, and the range of topics covered by Medical Applications.