How to use the content alerts facility
Our content alerts feature enables you to receive automatic email notifications when items in your chosen fields of interest are published on the site. Here's how they work.
1) Log in if you haven't already done so
2) Click the "Set up and manage your alerts" link at the bottom of this page or in the sidebar of your profile page.
TO SELECT TYPE OF ALERT and SUBJECT AREA
To receive alerts on specific subjects: Click the "categories" tab, tick the required boxes under "Material" and "Sector", select your delivery preferences (see below) and save.
To receive alerts on particular types of content, such as jobs or events: Click the "content types" tab, select the required content types and delivery preferences (see below) and save. NOTE: This will activate email alerts for ALL content of the selected types, regardless of subject category, so you are likely to receive a lot of alerts for these. To disable these, simply untick the boxes against the content types and save.
NB: Subscribing to the "Event" content type will send you details of IOM3 conferences as well as technical community and local society events. Select also "External event" to receive notifications of events not arranged by IOM3 but which are still of interest to the materials, minerals & mining communities.
TO SET EMAIL FREQUENCY AND OTHER SETTINGS
Having ticked your required content types and/or categories, further boxes appear adjacent to those items:
- "Send interval" - if this is set to "weekly" (the default) you will receive one group of emails per week with alerts matching all your settings. If you choose "as soon as possible" you will receive an alert email within an hour of content being added to our site. Note that with events, you are advised NOT to use the "monthly" interval as this can mean that some events will have already happened by the time you receive the alert.
- "On updates" - tick this to receive email alerts whenever matching content is updated (as opposed to created for the first time). This is useful for events especially where they may be changes to venues or dates.
- Click "save" at the bottom of the page to save all changes.
You are strongly advised to receive content alert emails in a convenient digest instead of one email per alert. To do this click “Set up and manage your alerts” at the bottom of this page or your profile page (if you're logged in), then in that screen click the “Settings” link to expand it and tick the “Digest mode” box, then click “Save settings”.
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM ALERTS
There is a link in each alert email you receive prefixed "Unsubscribe from this alert type". Click the link adjacent to stop receiving alerts of that particular type. The alert type for that specific alert is indicated in the URL of the unsubscribe link, e.g. if the URL contains /del/node/type/news this indicates that alert is specifically for the "news" content type. Note that if you unsubscribe from a content type but still have active category alerts, you may still receive alerts for content of that type if it is tagged to a subject you are still signed up for.
To turn off all alerts: go into your main alerts page and click "Delivery of notifications" to expand the options, then under "Receive notifications" select "No", then click "Save notifications". You can always go back into this page to reset this to "Yes" if you wish to resume receiving email alerts.
In your main alerts page click "Settings" to expand further options for default interval preferences and visibility of the various options in the other screens.
The email address you have set in your profile on this site is the one where your content alerts will be sent. If you are an IOM3 member and you wish to change your email address for any other communications from the Institute please make those changes in the Member Portal.