Small Modular Reactors
London Materials Society Lecture
- At ≤300 MWe, SMRs can provide flexible energy sources for multiple purposes at reduced financial risk
- Multiple modules can be licensed as a single plant
- Allow for sequenced construction and more acceptable cash flow
- Have strong potential for enhanced safety.
- Can be sited in non-conventional locations and meet non-conventional missions
- Provide classic nuclear power benefits of low-fuel costs without significant carbon emissions
- Development and qualification of advanced structural materials are critical to the design and deployment of the advanced nuclear reactor systems.
- Structural materials must perform over design lifetimes for pressure boundaries, reactor internals, and heat transfer components.
- Standard testing & NDE methods, irradiation effects.
5.45pm - Tea/Coffee
6.30pm - Lecture
7.30pm - Buffet