Material Researcher - Daido Metal Europe Ltd, Ilminster, Somerset
Daido Metal is a world leader in the supply of plain bearings for automotive, marine, rail, traction and industrial engines. We are a global Company with facilities in Japan, Europe, Asia, India, China and Russia.
Daido Metal European Technical Centre in Ilminster undertakes R&D relating to materials and production processes for plain bearings, bushings and thrust bearings.
Reporting to: Senior Electrochemist
Key tasks & Responsibilities:
Development of novel coatings for use in internal combustion engines. These coatings may be metallic or polymeric in nature and may be deposited by a number of different processes but the main thrust is in the area of chemical and electrochemical depositions.
Initially running experiments under close supervision but will rapidly progress to be able to run their own experiments. Ultimately the candidate will be responsible for the complete cycle from initial research through detailed development to final preparation of customer prototype samples. As well as the actual manufacturing process you will be required to develop all the necessary laboratory controls required to maintain any new processes.
- Manage research projects for the complete cycle from initial research through detailed development to preparation of customer prototype samples and develop/specify any necessary controls to maintain any new processes
- Investigate and characterize material properties using appropriate mechanical, microscopic and other equipment, either individually or in conjunction with other team members
- Methodically record and organise the complex data produced by the different experiments for discussion with other members of the research team
- Generate written research reports on regular basis for distribution throughout the organization, including presenting data at regular meetings with colleagues in Japan and UK.
- Support other projects and programs within the R&D department when required
- Ensure research activities meet with company requirements for quality, health and safety, environmental procedures and policies
Specific criteria required for this position:
- Degree preferably postgraduate degree within: Chemistry, Materials Science, Surface Engineering or other relevant disciplines
- Relevant study or work experience in the field of surface coating technology using chemical or electrochemical methods
- Modern material analytical and characterization technique, method and equipment understanding
- Ability to apply both fundamental principles and creativity to the development and improvement of products and technology
- Analytical and methodical approach to problem solving, with the ability to accurately document experiments, results and form conclusions
- Understands technical, environmental and H&S aspects of working in a laboratory
- Excellent communication, presentation and technical report writing skills
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team
- Able to travel occasionally, ideally holding a full driving license
- Ability to speak a second language (Japanese or European) would be advantageous
Hours of work
£27,000 - £32,000 DOE